Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November Work Party

Yesterday morning, after sleeping for half a day, I woke up, looked at the clock, and realized I only had a few minutes to do my Arabic homework, shower, get ready, and run out the door in time to catch my 10:38 a.m. bus. I somehow managed to do all of that, and as I waited at the bus stop in the rain, it suddenly dawned on me: it was only 9:38 a.m.

In my defense, that sort of disorientation is to be expected after a weekend as wild as this past one.

I’m happy to report that we made huge progress on the sailing equipment. Over the past month, I got in contact with Brian Horch, a Port Orchard scout master who has worked extensively on the camp's boats in the past, and I cajoled him into coming up and doing some glasswork on the sailboats.

Thanks to Brian, both the Harpoon and Hobie's impact damages are patched over. The two boats somehow managed to crash into one another last summer—I may or may not have been skippering one of them at the time.  Brian also repaired the Hobie's rudder blade, which saved us a good $300, and he made some progress on the mast, grinding off the broken CompTip and chiseling out its remnants from the lower mast. Brian says the mast is semi-salvageable - it just might be a foot or two shorter.

Meanwhile, Steve Petek and I inventoried all of the sailing equipment, collected and properly stowed all of the sails, which had been stuffed away haphazardly at the end of the season.  We also determined which sails were for sailboats that we still owned, and we planned out a new shelving unit in the Boathouse for sails, rudders, centerboards, and other sailing equipment. Tom Rogers is already starting to work on it.

Not bad for just one weekend.  Much more remains to be done, but I'm impressed by the progress we've been able to make so far.  At this point, I'm confident that we can get at least 10 sailboats in the water for next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment